General VMM Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with VMM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another VMM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building VMM.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to VMM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!! For more information, please see  User Voice How to FAQ .

VMM Product Team Response is on the bottom right, VMM Product Team Response.

Announcement section is created! This gets updated periodically so stay tuned! We are recruiting VMM customers for TAP. Check new items in VMM Team Announcement.

If you have technical questions or need help with VMM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Storage migration on Service Templates

Please add Storage Migration to Service Templates. It´s pretty boring to shut down the VMs move the disks etc. Could be in the scenario where VMs have shared disks i.e. for clustering.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Quota at runtime

Having quotas at runtime in addition to provisionning time would allow users to build a set of resources and use only a part of them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. contextual powershell script

Have the possibility to run a powershell script (stored in Library) when right clicking an object (for example a VM, a host, etc.)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Import network configuration to VMM for hosts already configured

I think managing the network configuration should be simpler in the sense if you configured your Hyper-V clustering network prior to using VMM. You should be able to add VMM to the mix afterwards and it import how the network is already configured. Not being forced to have to use VMM to setup the network from the beginning if you want VMM to manage it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Network Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "Available for Placement" option for Registered File shares.

"Available for Placement" option for Registered File shares.

In VMM 2012 R2, In the properties of a host server there is the option to mark a disk resource and unavailable for placement, in the storage section on the disk resource.

This is useful to help IT Managers etc. managed active and available disk resources for placements, for all sorts of reasons, I commonly used it for:

Storage End of life,
    Storage Migration, where a new system had been proved and no further VM’s were to be provisioned.
    Dedicated Customer Disks where no other systems were allowed to be deployed

The…

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Storage Availability Sets

We can currently define Availability Sets in VMM to try and keep VMs on separate Hyper-V hosts, but it would be useful if the Availability Sets could be applied to CSVs/SMB shares as well so that the underlying storage isn't a potential SPOF for the VMs.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Storage Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. show checkpoints from the VMs window as an additional column.

I have machines with checkpoints... A ton of them. And it can be cumbersome to launch powershell scripts if I'm coming from VMWare. I propose an option to add a column that says something as simple as yes for it has a checkpoint. Then maybe another column to show the size of the avhd/avhdx file.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable adding shared VHDX to existing deployed service in VMM.

Actually you are not able to add a shared VHDx to an existing deployed service in VMM.

Please enable this feature.

A good thing would be the usage of shared VHDx without Service-Templates too.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Hyper-V Virtual Machine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Pinpoint VMs that are not allowed to run on the same host in a Hyper-V Cluster

For VMs that uses an application cluster, like SQL Always on or Exchange DAGs it would be a nice feature to Point out these Machines and let VMM be aware that these VMs should not be on the same Hyper-V Host, when you put a host in maintenance mode. Like the "Preferred Owner" in Failover Cluster Manager.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Hyper-V Virtual Machine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 64k allocation unit size for all volume creation tasks.

When creating cluster, volume is 64k automatically formatted. But when you add additional, its 4k.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Storage Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bring back or Incorporate Virtual Machine Servicing Toolkit to VMM for Template Updating Orchestration

VMST used to provide a easy way to install patches to offline VMs and templates on a schedule. It worked well for me and saved time on template updating. Would love to see it come back in some GUI form as it was before.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Hyper-V-Clustering-SCVMM

I have deployed a number of Private Cloud Implementation with 2012 R2 Hyper-V Failover Clustering and System Centre 2012 R2. Below are some of the challenges I have experienced and changes I could like to see.

1. I have experience a number of challenges in managing Hyper-V Cluster Implementation.
    a. The Failover Cluster Manager does not have all the function to manage Hyper-V in a cluster.
    b. The Hyper-V Manager does not have all the function to manage Hyper-V in a cluster.
    c. In future a could like to see a single console for managing Hyper-V Cluster Implementation (one cannot…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Host Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Get vCPU to Logical CPU ratio into the equation for optimizing hosts.

I wish that the process of caclulating for host optimization would prioritize the vCPU to CPU ratio. When the ratio is to large, the VMs Waits too long for CPU time. A cluster can have a significant difference in this ratio from hos to host.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Improve seriously Azure Subscription configuration wizard in VMM

Well I don't understand why the certificate needed in Add Azure Subscription wizard in VMM must be in current user personnal store. Why we cannot use Computer, personnal store ?

Also, there is no description of key usage needed for this Azure Management Certificate. Makecert is really not an option when as a serious IT you have a private PKI.

The crazy thing is that in SC App Controller, to connect an Azure Subscription, it's possible to use certificate in Computer Store.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Ashish Mehndi responded

New approach – AD based for connection to Azure is being implemented.

15. Include static routes into Static IP Address Pool

Currently, Static IP Address Pools include most of the IP configuration options one might need--such as available address range, default gateway, DNS servers, etc. I see many customers using static routes in their environments, especially for "special" infrastructure networks such as BMC/IPMI addresses. This currently requires manual configuration for affected machines after they get IP address from pool.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Network Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to unregister a VM without deleting it from SCVMM

Seems that the only action that I can take to remove a VM from SCVMM is delete option. It would be nice to have the ability to unregister the VM without actually deleting it completely.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. job scheduler for maintenance tasks such as adding cpu to VM

It would be great to have tasks I could schedule, or just configure and it would be done during maintenance window for VMs - such as adding CPU or anything else what needs to put VM offline.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Hyper-V Virtual Machine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Folder structure for Templates and Profiles

Since our deployment of WAP we have alot of different Templates and hardware profiles, it would be great to group these, just like the library files.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add a field in VMM that shows when a VM was last backed up.

VMWARE does this in vCenter and it's very useful to eyeball when guests were backed up last. It also can aid when backups caused an issue for a machine possibly. It also makes it so my VM guy doesn't need to go talk to my backup guy.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hyper-V Virtual Machine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  VMM Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base