Fix error 23352 when creating Generation 2 VM template and trying to deploy VMs
As discussed in the following forum topic:
I am not able to fix whatever causes error 23352 to be thrown after
- Creating a new generation 2 Virtual machine
- Booting, installing and configuring the machine
- shutting down the machine
- Creating a VM template from the VM
- Enabling "Create a differencing disk using the specified disk as parent"
- Trying to create new virtual machines from the template.
After the VHDX was deployed to the host(s) and differencing disks are to be created, error 23352 ("VMM cannot find the device or this device is not valid for a boot device") is thrown.
KB2955362 suggests to manually set the boot device to the disk which contains the OS. I use that command, but it did not fix the issue.
There is no hint on what exactly may be the cause of this error.
Sometimes it helps to create a new VM template after changing the name of the VHDX file of the original VM. But sometimes this does not help.
In the forum topic mentioned above it was posted that this issue still occurs in SCVMM 2016.