General VMM Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with VMM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another VMM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building VMM.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to VMM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!! For more information, please see  User Voice How to FAQ .

VMM Product Team Response is on the bottom right, VMM Product Team Response.

Announcement section is created! This gets updated periodically so stay tuned! We are recruiting VMM customers for TAP. Check new items in VMM Team Announcement.

If you have technical questions or need help with VMM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show uptime for host and virtual machine in the GUI

Make it possible to see or fade in the uptime of the hosts or virtual machines

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Default VHDX name for system disk during template deployment

When deploying a VM from a template, I rename the boot disk the template is made from to "system.<fullvmname>.vhdx" because I do not want the disk created as "<vmtemplatename>.vhdx. If there was a way to setup a rule to do this, it would be nice.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 64k allocation unit size for all volume creation tasks.

When creating cluster, volume is 64k automatically formatted. But when you add additional, its 4k.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Storage Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Rename the product to Datacenter Manager

Rename the product in such a way that people understand that VMM is much more than a Hypervisor Manager - Suggestions: DataCenter Manager

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Security Rights on Fabric

Hi,

Currently there is no possibility to restrict access on the Fabric. For example, if I want to give to an administrator only rights to view/start/restart/shutdown/open console on VMS, there is no way to do this. It would be nice if more roles for fabric could be created like: Virtual Machine Deployment User, Virtual Machine Power user etc, roles that can be customized.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. introduce a function similar to VMWare vCenter Linked Mode

I suggest you introduce a function similar to VMWare vCenter Linked Mode where you can connect to and manage multiple VMM environments from the same VMM console.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Visual representation of maintencance mode

In VMM - VMs and Services - one can't tell at a glance if a host is in maintenance mode. You either have to check via context menu or by using the Fabric view (e.g. All Hosts). A visual representation of the active maintenance mode (maybe by changing the icon) would nice. Something like we have in Failover Cluster Manager. It also helps when mulitple admins are managing an evironment to see what's going on.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add support to manage docker on Windows vNext

Since MS announced support for Docker, make sure SCVMM will support docker container deployment from day 0

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Simultaneous Live Migration from VMM Console

When I need to live migrate a number of VM's (not all because we can place a host in maintenance mode), I'd like to multi-select those VMs and live migrate them together. Now I go back to FCM and do it from there.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Update VMM agent on untrusted domains

When attempting to update the VMM agents on hosts in un-trusted domains, the job fails. Currently there is a loooonnnggg work around involving uninstall, re-install, and exporting the certificate. It would be nice if this was able to be done directly through SCVMM console.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Host Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to unregister a VM without deleting it from SCVMM

Seems that the only action that I can take to remove a VM from SCVMM is delete option. It would be nice to have the ability to unregister the VM without actually deleting it completely.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove features not up to par , and reduce vmm to best of hyper-v

Remove VMware integration , Remove V2V and so on , and focus on the features set in Hyper-V.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. OS customization for new VMs from Image

When deploying a new VM from a disk image, I cannot do OS Customization during the deploy process. If I create a new VM Template using the same disk, I can then do OS customizations when deplying from tha template. This carries over to WAP. I would like to not have to create a VM Template in order to deploy a VM and get OS customization (Admin password, hostname, etc.). Effectively, I can't deploy from a generic Image and get access to the VM.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  VMM Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a field in VMM that shows when a VM was last backed up.

VMWARE does this in vCenter and it's very useful to eyeball when guests were backed up last. It also can aid when backups caused an issue for a machine possibly. It also makes it so my VM guy doesn't need to go talk to my backup guy.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hyper-V Virtual Machine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Web Client for VMM

It would be nice to have an web client for the VMM console, that would work on any browser

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Manage Private VLAN through VMM

We use Private VLANs in our Hyper-v Clusters but currently all the management of Private VLANs in all modes (promiscous, isolated, etc) have to be done by using Hyper-v powershell commandlets. We would like to be able to manage this completely through VMM.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Network Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. HNV Network Virtualization Policy Refresher

Allow Policies of HNV gateways to be refreshed / reset for all or certain networks. Frequently virtualized networks get outdated and there is no way to reset the policies on all hosts / gateways or do any troubleshooting at all.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Network Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. VMM stability

VMM Service seems to be very sensitive to all kinds of issues, including very small ones (network glitches, IP from non-existing pool specified for Bare Metal Deployment, etc.) and whenever something like that occurs it just crashes interrupting everything that was running before and not resuming/restarting it afterwards (i.e. cross cluster VM migration, Bare Metal Deployment, VM deployment, etc.). It would be nice if it could handle those issues in a more reliable fashion and in cases when in really needs to crash, resume or restart corresponding activities.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. monitor traffic bound to SCPortAcl rules

It would be nice to create a tool that will provide a real time monitor and ability to find past details for blocked and allowed traffic when SCPortAcl Rules are used. Connectivity filtering relies on firewall traffic monitoring for troubleshooting puproses so it is essential to have.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Network Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Storage Availability Sets

We can currently define Availability Sets in VMM to try and keep VMs on separate Hyper-V hosts, but it would be useful if the Availability Sets could be applied to CSVs/SMB shares as well so that the underlying storage isn't a potential SPOF for the VMs.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Storage Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base