General VMM Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with VMM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another VMM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building VMM.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to VMM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!! For more information, please see  User Voice How to FAQ .

VMM Product Team Response is on the bottom right, VMM Product Team Response.

Announcement section is created! This gets updated periodically so stay tuned! We are recruiting VMM customers for TAP. Check new items in VMM Team Announcement.

If you have technical questions or need help with VMM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change Active Directory Check Behavior on Bare Metal Deployment

While redeploying an existing host, I disabled the host's AD account but neglected to check the box to "Skip Active Directory Check". This one mistake forced me to re-do the entire deployment, including the Deep Discovery that takes nearly 20 minutes on our hardware.

I suggest that this be a retryable condition, for starters.
    For another, I suggest that if the AD account is disabled, that this be downgraded to a warning at most. Pre-staging computer accounts is a fairly common operation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. We have many clusters and CPU compatiblity is the reason. Can you make it ignore dissimilar CPU generation migrations?

If we want to share nothing migrate a VM live to another cluster of like CPU it works fine. The issue is that in the list of VM hosts for the site we lump all clusters in the site. Because it is one site and it simplifies views/networking. So when we migrate a VM to a different cluster for tolerance reasons, sometimes we have techs migrating VM's that fail after attempting to migrate. It would be good to just gray star them out for not having the same CPU generational level.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bare-metal Deployment annoyance - load-save a previous configuration.

When deploying a bare metal host, have the ability to load a previous powershell saved configuration to predefine the settings. Useful for minor changes, or building out a configuration step by step. When adding pNIC's and vNIC's there is a lot of configuration that has to be re-entered if your testing different settings.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Host Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Checkpoints don't inherit VM owner, when another user creates it.

We have VMs with a Self-Service owner. When a different user creates a checkpoint on that VM, within the checkpoint properties, it shows that the checkpoint was "created by" the owner, not by the user that actually created it.

Can we have it so the Checkpoint creator's name is in the "created by" field instead of the VM owner?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Scale-In Button!

We need to have a Scale-In button for Services as we have Scale-Out button, this is confusing. However in Orchestrator we have Scale-In and Scale-Out. At the moment we need to right click the VM and delete the instance in order to Scale-in.

Thank you!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow a script to add Azure Subscriptions

When I add Azure Subscriptions to SCVMM 2012 R2 CU7 I see that it only applies for the 1 user, on that machine. It's not a global config.

I wish this took effect globally for all users that connect. If that's not possible, then I need to be able to script the addition of Azure Subscriptions so users can just run a script on each machine to have them added.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Configurable Memory reserve ratio attribute for powered-off VMs to reduce RAM reservation in cluster over-commit computation

We are facing issues with cluster over-commit computation algorithm in Pay-As-You-Go model, where powered-off VMs are not free in term of RAM reservations. This attribute will help us to decide how much memory will be reserved for powered-off VMs.

Other improvements for cluster RAM over-commit computation can be passing quota limits from WAP Subscription to computation algorithm. For example customer has 5 VMs with 32GB RAM, but subscription allow him run only 3 VMs with 96GB RAM in total. It is wasting of RAM to compute all 5 VMs, because only 3 of them can run simultaneously.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. (re)Create a Workgroup Edition for small business

The Workgroup Edition (5 Host max) was a very good option for small businesses. Please recreate it !!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide better error message for failed Compliance Scans

When performing a compliance scan of a managed Hyper-V host where the underlying root cause is related to WSUS, the following error is returned in the VMM job:
    Error (2931) VMM is unable to complete the request. The connection to the VMM agent on the virtualization server (server01.domain.local) was lost. Unknown error (0x80338029)

The error message indicates connection problems between SC VMM and the managed host, which is misleading when the problem is related to WSUS. An example of a specific case is available in this article:
    http://blog.crayon.com/compliance-scan-sc-vmm-fails-error-2931/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Host Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Host Group Overview: Available Resources

I think it would be great if instead of pretty useless "overall MB\s" and "monthly storage MBPS" we could see an overview of available resources for a host group:
    - Storage (Used\Available for Placement)
    - Memory (used\available for new VMs)
    - Top N hosts running out of resources (3-5 hosts)
    - Top N free hosts (2-5 hosts)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Move addins to the user profile

VMM stores vmm addins in %programfiles% under username. This is a horrible design. Please move user-defined addins to the userprofile and provide an option for system-wide installation of add-ins.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Jobs Window Pop Ups

When creating somwthing like a VMNetwork, the jobs window always pops up, can we make a preference in systems to not open a jobs window by default.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Quota at runtime

Having quotas at runtime in addition to provisionning time would allow users to build a set of resources and use only a part of them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. please make a clear statement about many VMMs to one OpsMgr instance integration support.

Can't find anything on this topic in docs. I have a lot requests for this and can't answer with an official statement

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. create a light / free VMM for Azure only

create a light / free VMM for Azure only. A sort of free on premise console (ie no html) for PC

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. User Voice

Much like Windows Admin Center, a suggestion I would like is in the VMM Help menu, to link directly to User Voice, for user feedback. This would be handy.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Blank Virtual hard disk templates on demand without requiring a library object

When creating a VM template, if you want to add a data disk, you have to precreate the datadisk and load it into the library. If you want it Fixed, you have to take the time to precreate a Fixed VHDX and import it. Also if you want to add multiple data disks you must have unique entries in the library, they cannot be reused inside the same vm template. I propose allowing blank virtual hard disk templates of Fixed type of a specified size to be described in the template, and have scvmm create the disk on demand during…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Migrate a Stored VM from 1 library to another.

I have different libraries in different locations, on different speed networks. Some locations are deduplicated, some are not.

For me, if I want to move an item from the library to another, I have to "deploy" to a cluster, then "store in library" again to the destination library.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Shared nothing live migration with each disk to a different location fails

When LM a VM to a different cluster using VSM, and if the VM has more than one VHDX attached and I want to place each disk on a different CSV. migration fails with an access denied error. Migrating the same VM to one CSV succeeds.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Patch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow VMM Library Servers pin to more than one Host group

During placement VMM uses this association in Host Group properties to find closest library, but now it accepts only one host group.

If you add option to select more than one HG in this field it will be best before you realize https://systemcentervmm.uservoice.com/forums/280803-general-vmm-feedback/suggestions/7000584-vmm-library-servers-in-multiple-sites-synchroni

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base