General VMM Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with VMM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another VMM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building VMM.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to VMM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!! For more information, please see  User Voice How to FAQ .

VMM Product Team Response is on the bottom right, VMM Product Team Response.

Announcement section is created! This gets updated periodically so stay tuned! We are recruiting VMM customers for TAP. Check new items in VMM Team Announcement.

If you have technical questions or need help with VMM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Security Rights on Fabric

Hi,

Currently there is no possibility to restrict access on the Fabric. For example, if I want to give to an administrator only rights to view/start/restart/shutdown/open console on VMS, there is no way to do this. It would be nice if more roles for fabric could be created like: Virtual Machine Deployment User, Virtual Machine Power user etc, roles that can be customized.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. We have many clusters and CPU compatiblity is the reason. Can you make it ignore dissimilar CPU generation migrations?

If we want to share nothing migrate a VM live to another cluster of like CPU it works fine. The issue is that in the list of VM hosts for the site we lump all clusters in the site. Because it is one site and it simplifies views/networking. So when we migrate a VM to a different cluster for tolerance reasons, sometimes we have techs migrating VM's that fail after attempting to migrate. It would be good to just gray star them out for not having the same CPU generational level.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Replace Live Migration code

Please replace the live migration code used in VMM(dynamic optimization, maintenance. Mode) with the live migration code found in failover cluster manager.

When placing a host in maintenance mode or dynamic optimization, jobs constantly hang at various percentages which then require killing the vmmservice as that's the only way to get vmm to release the job.

Draining a host using failover cluster manager is near flawless. A host will fail to drain/complete in VMM, yet using FCM immediately after completes 100%. Various tickets have been opened with support regarding this issue with no sucess to date.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. introduce a function similar to VMWare vCenter Linked Mode

I suggest you introduce a function similar to VMWare vCenter Linked Mode where you can connect to and manage multiple VMM environments from the same VMM console.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. SCVMM Job Description with possible error cause

The SCVMM Jobs sometimes give an confusing error message.
    Per example
    An internal error has occurred trying to contact the server: : .

WinRM: URL: [http://Server:5985], Verb: [INVOKE], Method: [HWScoutOffline], Resource: [http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wmi/root/scvmm/P2VServerJob]

In my opinion it would be very helpful to display a possible root cause and provide a link to Knowledge article.

Example Job VM Template Creation:
    Error Message:
    An internal error has occurred trying to contact the server: : .

WinRM: URL: [http://Server:5985], Verb: [INVOKE], Method: [HWScoutOffline], Resource: [http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wmi/root/scvmm/P2VServerJob]

Possible Root Cause:
    sysprep binaries were missing
    See <link of a…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add option to sort and search the Address pool when creating VM

Add option to sort and search the Address pool when creating VM
    When you create a VM is very frustrating to scroll through the entire list of Address poll's to find the right address pool (VLAN) in which you need to locate the VM because the aforementioned list is not sorted by any criteria and is not supported either search options. Perhaps this could be subsumed under existing bug ya SCVMM 2102 R2.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Easier to add VMM to your existing failover cluster

Be able to add VMM to you network after you have already setup your failover cluster. Not everyone starts out with VMM to build their cluster. currently there are lot of things that you can't use unless you rebuild the cluster in VMM it seems.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. v2v, p2v, vmm administration

I have encountered some problems in the last years:
    1. we need a tool (like Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter) but who can:
    - make p2v (for "still" existing physicals machines or for VMs from VMware or other platforms).
    We can use v2v...but we need to copy the offline machine to the library, and then, because of the vcenter, the conversion for, let's say, a 500 GB VMs takes very long time (I had to wait around 6-7hours to migrate a machine from VMware to hyper-v) (~150 GB).

Imagine if we have to migrate from VMware to HyperV let's say 300+…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Support NAS as Library

In this moment is a big limitation use only windows machines as Library. In many environment are used NAS devices running Linux distro, because are cheaper and much flexible than windows.

Adding support, without install the agent is the best way for VMM Library.

S

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add support for key/value-tags

Please add proper key/value tags to VMM, much like the tags work in the preview Azure Portal. The current "single string" does not provide enough in terms of custom metadata, and the "Custom Properties" are a bit too intrusive and hard to work with.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Storage migration on Service Templates

Please add Storage Migration to Service Templates. It´s pretty boring to shut down the VMs move the disks etc. Could be in the scenario where VMs have shared disks i.e. for clustering.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Quota at runtime

Having quotas at runtime in addition to provisionning time would allow users to build a set of resources and use only a part of them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. show checkpoints from the VMs window as an additional column.

I have machines with checkpoints... A ton of them. And it can be cumbersome to launch powershell scripts if I'm coming from VMWare. I propose an option to add a column that says something as simple as yes for it has a checkpoint. Then maybe another column to show the size of the avhd/avhdx file.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Get vCPU to Logical CPU ratio into the equation for optimizing hosts.

I wish that the process of caclulating for host optimization would prioritize the vCPU to CPU ratio. When the ratio is to large, the VMs Waits too long for CPU time. A cluster can have a significant difference in this ratio from hos to host.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Date of last reboot of the virtual machine

It would be useful to add a column "Date of last reboot of the virtual machine" in the list of virtual machines.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make SCVMM faster as Failover clustering.

The over all speed of the product needs to be improved as well as the currency of the progress bar for any task.
    Example:
    When I make a change with Failover clustering I see progress that reflect my job with in seconds but if i use VMM it takes long time for that to be presented.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Connection VMM with WSUS from a disconnected network

To manage updates in Virtual Machine Manager (VMM), you must have a Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) server with choosed Upstream Server - Synchronize with Microsoft Update. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg675099.aspx .
    Can you fix this to run with a disconnected network wsus and vmm installation?
    Sorry for my bad english

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Configurable Memory reserve ratio attribute for powered-off VMs to reduce RAM reservation in cluster over-commit computation

We are facing issues with cluster over-commit computation algorithm in Pay-As-You-Go model, where powered-off VMs are not free in term of RAM reservations. This attribute will help us to decide how much memory will be reserved for powered-off VMs.

Other improvements for cluster RAM over-commit computation can be passing quota limits from WAP Subscription to computation algorithm. For example customer has 5 VMs with 32GB RAM, but subscription allow him run only 3 VMs with 96GB RAM in total. It is wasting of RAM to compute all 5 VMs, because only 3 of them can run simultaneously.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add feature to configure custom ports for a VM, adding / editing ports for VM

Ability to configure ports for Azure VM's, today if a custom port needs to be configured for a VM, its more update registry and external port management via Azure portal, this feature will help configuring same by pushing/running scripts in the background for user.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Azure integration directly in VMM.

I would like to see all of my VMs in the VMM console including Azure VMs.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base