General VMM Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with VMM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another VMM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building VMM.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to VMM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!! For more information, please see  User Voice How to FAQ .

VMM Product Team Response is on the bottom right, VMM Product Team Response.

Announcement section is created! This gets updated periodically so stay tuned! We are recruiting VMM customers for TAP. Check new items in VMM Team Announcement.

If you have technical questions or need help with VMM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable Shared Nothing Live Migrations between Hyper-V Clusters using SOFS Clusters

In our setup a Hyper-V cluster does have it's own SOFS cluster, we have several of those clusters. So a one-to-one relationship is established between a Hyper-V Cluster and a SOFS Cluster.
    SCVMM 2016 does not allow for VM's to be live-migrated between Hyper- V clusters while this was possible using SCVMM2012R2. This functionality disappeared magically in 2016. We really need this since we migrate VMs regularly between clusters.
    For example; we do have local clusters and stretched clusters, we need to live migrate VMs between those for distributing load and SLA levels. The loss of this functionality is documented…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • VM and Hoststatus for Selfservice User -> Unknown

When using VMM with SelfService Users (SSU) the SSU can only see the virtual machine status (VMS) – the user is not able to see the host status itself. I.e. when the host is “host not responding” the SSU will see Status: Running and Virtual Machine Status: Running.

(screenshot 1)

VMM hides the host status and keeps the last known VMS. It’s the same story for Admins and Delegated Admins with one difference – the user is able to see the host status:

(screenshot 2)

It’s possible that a not responding host does not lead to an outage of the…

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Deferred updates for VM configuration settings

Assume you want to change VM configuration. For example, change vCPU count, allow migration to different CPU version, change MAC address type (dynamic/static), attach FC adapters and may be others. All of this actions require to stop VM to perform this changes.

I want to suggest option that allow make this changes in VMM and postpone it to put to VM until it reboots.

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Service Templates Scale Out

With SCVMM Servie Templates, it should be possible, to scale out a Computer tier with more than one VM at a time.

Per example:
          Click Scale Out Computer Tier
          Choose count of VM´s that should be created in this Tier
          Create all VMs

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Supports ARM VMs in SCVMM

There is no support for managing Azure Resource Manager VMs today.

22 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              planned  ·  5 comments  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • can Support Server 2016 as library Server for SCVMM 2012 R2

Hi there,
              is it possible to add a library Server which is installed with Server 2016 to a SCVMM 2012 R2 Environment? This would be very helpful because we only want to install Server 2016 as OS for our new Servers.
              Thanks in advance.
              Best Regards
              Rudi

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • add 'Description' as a column option to Stored Virtual Machines and Services

Under Library Servers in SCVMM, there is a Stored Virtual Machines and Services group under a given library server. It would be useful to be able to show 'Description' column bound to the VM stored in the library so I can quickly see what the VM was used for or other notes.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  VMM Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Show uptime for host and virtual machine in the GUI

Make it possible to see or fade in the uptime of the hosts or virtual machines

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Enable support for Group-Managed Service Accounts (gsma)

Let us use "group managed service accounts" for both a RunAs account, as well as the user under which we would install and run SCVMM.

28 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Security Rights on Fabric

Hi,

Currently there is no possibility to restrict access on the Fabric. For example, if I want to give to an administrator only rights to view/start/restart/shutdown/open console on VMS, there is no way to do this. It would be nice if more roles for fabric could be created like: Virtual Machine Deployment User, Virtual Machine Power user etc, roles that can be customized.

17 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • We have many clusters and CPU compatiblity is the reason. Can you make it ignore dissimilar CPU generation migrations?

If we want to share nothing migrate a VM live to another cluster of like CPU it works fine. The issue is that in the list of VM hosts for the site we lump all clusters in the site. Because it is one site and it simplifies views/networking. So when we migrate a VM to a different cluster for tolerance reasons, sometimes we have techs migrating VM's that fail after attempting to migrate. It would be good to just gray star them out for not having the same CPU generational level.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Replace Live Migration code

Please replace the live migration code used in VMM(dynamic optimization, maintenance. Mode) with the live migration code found in failover cluster manager.

When placing a host in maintenance mode or dynamic optimization, jobs constantly hang at various percentages which then require killing the vmmservice as that's the only way to get vmm to release the job.

Draining a host using failover cluster manager is near flawless. A host will fail to drain/complete in VMM, yet using FCM immediately after completes 100%. Various tickets have been opened with support regarding this issue with no sucess to date.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • introduce a function similar to VMWare vCenter Linked Mode

I suggest you introduce a function similar to VMWare vCenter Linked Mode where you can connect to and manage multiple VMM environments from the same VMM console.

17 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • SCVMM Job Description with possible error cause

The SCVMM Jobs sometimes give an confusing error message.
                              Per example
                              An internal error has occurred trying to contact the server: : .
                              WinRM: URL: [http://Server:5985], Verb: [INVOKE], Method: [HWScoutOffline], Resource: [http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wmi/root/scvmm/P2VServerJob]

In my opinion it would be very helpful to display a possible root cause and provide a link to Knowledge article.

Example Job VM Template Creation:
                              Error Message:
                              An internal error has occurred trying to contact the server: : .
                              WinRM: URL: [http://Server:5985], Verb: [INVOKE], Method: [HWScoutOffline], Resource: [http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wmi/root/scvmm/P2VServerJob]

Possible Root Cause:
                              sysprep binaries were missing
                              See <link of a…

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add option to sort and search the Address pool when creating VM

Add option to sort and search the Address pool when creating VM
                                When you create a VM is very frustrating to scroll through the entire list of Address poll's to find the right address pool (VLAN) in which you need to locate the VM because the aforementioned list is not sorted by any criteria and is not supported either search options. Perhaps this could be subsumed under existing bug ya SCVMM 2102 R2.

12 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Easier to add VMM to your existing failover cluster

Be able to add VMM to you network after you have already setup your failover cluster. Not everyone starts out with VMM to build their cluster. currently there are lot of things that you can't use unless you rebuild the cluster in VMM it seems.

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • storage classification

it would be useful that all the storage (iscsi, smb, fc etc) presented to a host and/or cluster and tagged with a classification to be summed and present a summary in Fabric>Storage>Classification and pools (size, available capacity, etc etc).
                                    Now event the storage is tagged with a classification... no data is presented.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • v2v, p2v, vmm administration

I have encountered some problems in the last years:
                                      1. we need a tool (like Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter) but who can:
                                      - make p2v (for "still" existing physicals machines or for VMs from VMware or other platforms).
                                      We can use v2v...but we need to copy the offline machine to the library, and then, because of the vcenter, the conversion for, let's say, a 500 GB VMs takes very long time (I had to wait around 6-7hours to migrate a machine from VMware to hyper-v) (~150 GB).

Imagine if we have to migrate from VMware to HyperV let's say 300+…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Support NAS as Library

In this moment is a big limitation use only windows machines as Library. In many environment are used NAS devices running Linux distro, because are cheaper and much flexible than windows.

Adding support, without install the agent is the best way for VMM Library.

S

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add support for key/value-tags

Please add proper key/value tags to VMM, much like the tags work in the preview Azure Portal. The current "single string" does not provide enough in terms of custom metadata, and the "Custom Properties" are a bit too intrusive and hard to work with.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General VMM Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base